Here’s an antidote for the many tributes we are faced with at the end of the year. If you shed a tear for the passing of Maureen Stapleton, how about giving some deep thought to the misogyny that is open, loud, and growing in this country.
Media Matters For America has published several end-of-year summaries that show how insane the opposition to a progressive future actually sounds. I focused on the list relating so many of the right-wing attacks on women that we were appalled at in 2013. Here are just a few but you absolutely must go to Media Matters and read the full list (as well as the other end-of-year postings):
- Fox Contributor Erick Erickson: “I Understand That Some Women Believe They Can Have It All, And That’s The Crux Of The Problem.”
- Fox Host Lou Dobbs: Increase In Female Breadwinners Is “Concerning And Troubling.”
- WSJ’s Taranto: “Female Sexual Freedom” Has Led To A “War On Men.”
- Fox Business Host: “Is There Something About The Female Brain That Is A Deterrent” To Women Being Tech Executives?
- Fox’s John Stossel: Women Are Paid Less Than Men Because Women “Have Their Priorities In Order.”
- Limbaugh: Women In Military Should Synchronize Menstrual Cycles So They’d Be “Ready To Be Banshees”
- Limbaugh: Men Should Avoid Sexual Harassment Accusation By Asking Women “Will You Please Ask Your Breasts To Stop Staring At My Eyes?”
- Limbaugh: “Unmarried Women Are Looking At Government For Everything.”
- Fox & Friends Spends More Than 13 Minutes Questioning Women’s Driving Abilities.
And this is just an excerpt: go to Media Matters and read them all in the article titled: “Know Your Role And Shut Your Mouth”: How Conservative Media Treated Women In 2013