I am in the midst of an uncharacteristic urge to read everything that Edgar Rice Burroughs has written: at least eighty novels and other pieces of fiction. The way I see it, I could dedicate the time to reading all six volumes of My Struggle or have a bit more fun knocking off the more well known series like Tarzan and John Carter and maybe a smattering of the less known series like Pellucidar and Caspak. Could I do both?
Burroughs is one of the most well known American authors, translated and read around the world. I read my first Tarzan in Spanish over fifty years ago and even though I probably didn’t finish the book, I was intrigued. Then there were all those Tarzan movies and television shows to keep the image alive, despite so many being horribly racist and often down-right silly. The recent Disney movie John Carter, despite being awful, introduced me to the Barsoom series and like Tarzan, I think I will read all of the novels (even if only in the bathroom).
I recently completed Tarzan of the Apes which, narratively, is the first novel of the series. At first I thought I had read this novel before but then remembered having read Philip José Farmer’s fictional biography, Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke. If you think you know everything about Tarzan from all the movies, read Burroughs’ original novel. I won’t say it’s great literature but except for a few glaringly twisted sentences, it isn’t badly written and is vivid, simple, exciting, and fast-loving.
Here are the selected works of Edgar Rice Burroughs from Wkipedia (for a more detailed and complete list, see the bibliography entry):
- Tarzan of the Apes (1912)
- The Return of Tarzan (1913)
- The Beasts of Tarzan (1914)
- The Son of Tarzan (1914)
- Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (1916)
- Jungle Tales of Tarzan, 1917 .
- Tarzan the Untamed, 1921 .
- Tarzan the Terrible (1921)
- Tarzan and the Golden Lion, 1923 .
- Tarzan and the Ant Men (1924)
- Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle, 1928 .
- Tarzan and the Lost Empire (1928)
- Tarzan at the Earth’s Core (1929)
- Tarzan the Invincible (1930–31).
- Tarzan Triumphant (1931)
- Tarzan and the City of Gold (1932)
- Tarzan and the Lion Man, 1934 .
- Tarzan and the Leopard Men (1935)
- Tarzan’s Quest, 1936 .
- Tarzan the Magnificent, 1937 .
- Tarzan and the Forbidden City (1938)
- Tarzan and the Foreign Legion (1947)
- Tarzan and the Tarzan Twins (1963, for younger readers)
- Tarzan and the Madman (1964)
- Tarzan and the Castaways (1965)
- Burroughs, Edgar Rice; Lansdale, Joe R (1995), Tarzan: the Lost Adventure.
- A Princess of Mars (1912)
- The Gods of Mars (1914)
- The Warlord of Mars (1918)
- Thuvia, Maid of Mars (1920)
- The Chessmen of Mars (1922)
- The Master Mind of Mars (1928)
- A Fighting Man of Mars (1931)
- Swords of Mars (1936)
- Synthetic Men of Mars (1940)
- Llana of Gathol (1948)
- John Carter of Mars (1964)
- Burroughs, John Coleman (1940), John Carter and the Giant of Mars.
- “Skeleton Men of Jupiter” (1942)
- At the Earth’s Core (1914)
- Pellucidar (1923)
- Tanar of Pellucidar (1928)
- Tarzan at the Earth’s Core (1929)
- Back to the Stone Age (1937)
- Land of Terror (1944)
- Savage Pellucidar (1963)
- Pirates of Venus (1934)
- Lost on Venus (1935)
- Carson of Venus (1939)
- Escape on Venus (1946)
- The Wizard of Venus (1970)
- The Land That Time Forgot (1918)
- The People That Time Forgot (1918)
- Out of Time’s Abyss (1918)
- The Moon Maid (1926; The Moon Men)
- Part I: The Moon Maid
- Part II: The Moon Men
- Part III: The Red Hawk
- The Mucker (1914)
- The Return of the Mucker (1916)
- The Oakdale Affair (1917)
Other science fiction
- Beyond the Farthest Star (1941)
- The Lost Continent (1916; aka Beyond Thirty)
- The Monster Men (1929)
- The Resurrection of Jimber-Jaw (1937)
- Jungle adventure novels
- The Man-Eater (1915)
- The Cave Girl (1925)
- The Eternal Lover (1925; aka The Eternal Savage)
- Jungle Girl (1932; aka Land of the Hidden Men)
- The Lad and the Lion (1938)
- The Bandit of Hell’s Bend (1926)
- The War Chief (1927)
- Apache Devil (1933)
- The Deputy Sheriff of Comanche County (1940)
- I am a Barbarian (1967)
- The Outlaw of Torn (1927)
- The Efficiency Expert (1921)
- Forgotten Tales of Love and Murder (2001)
- The Girl from Farris’s (1916)
- The Girl from Hollywood (1923)
- The Mad King (1926)
- Marcia of the Doorstep (1924)
- Minidoka: 937th Earl of One Mile Series M (1998)
- Pirate Blood (1970)
- The Rider (1937)
- You Lucky Girl! (1927)