Ah, the immortal words of Lili Von Shtupp. But it’s true: I’ve been dedicating half of my day to sleep, or at least to laying quietly in bed listening to Old Time Radio shows. The other half of the day is generally filled with books but there are also beaucoup de streaming stories to tempt me. I have noticed an internal regulator in my life that wavers between a low-grade panic when I’ve been ignoring my books and watching too much video and the opposite urge to take long breaks between novels and mainline a few episodes of the latest Netflix offering.
The trend I recommend today is to fill your reading lists with as many banned books as possible. Be transgressive!
How many of the titles from this month’s list might ruffle the feathers of the local gestapo school board (or big-bully governor) ???
- The Turkish Gambit — Boris Akunin
- Stanley and the Women — Kingsley Amis
- Lionel Asbo: State of England — Martin Amis
- Glory — NoViolet Bulawayo
- The Cocktail Waitress — James M. Cain
- Robert B. Parker’s Colorblind — Reed Farrel Coleman
- A Darkness More Than Night — Michael Connelly
- The End of the Story — Lydia Davis
- The Glass Palace — Amitav Ghosh
- Les Misérables — Victor Hugo
- Kindness Goes Unpunished — Craig Johnson
- Three Ten To Yuma and Other Stories — Elmore Leonard
- Priceless — Zygmunt Miloszewski
- After the Wreck, I Picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings, and Flew Away — Joyce Carol Oates
- The Guermantes Way — Marcel Proust
- Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel — Gary Shteyngart
- The Adventures of Ferdinand Count Fathom — Tobias Smollett
- The History of Henry Esmond — W. M. Thackeray
- The Use of Man — Aleksandar Tisma
- A Little Life — Hanya Yanagihara
3 thoughts on “I’m Tired … So Tired”
I know what you mean by “low grade panic”, as I experience it when I’ve not read enough in a day. As for both local and national governmental bullies, they are to be strongly resisted . Our current government in Westminster are a greedy, corrupt shower with no regard for anyone but themselves and their wealthy backers.
As related to government, my favorite news is the significant increase in people signing up for dance classes. It’s good to be prepared for when The Former Guy is indicted.
Hi Mike, I just love that. I want our government out, and Boris I jail and his corrupt cronies. Then I’ll be dancing on the streets. I hope you get your energy back soon.