You can find the original of this post over at Media Matters.
The Fox Cycle is the process by which Fox News pushes right-wing fringe stories into the mainstream news. Fox distorts facts, spreads myths as truths and devotes heavy, one-sided coverage to make viewers believe in baseless, manufactured stories — and, worse, to convince mainstream media outlets to cover these lies.
The Fox Cycle occurs in six steps:
- Right-wing bloggers, talk radio hosts, and other conservative media outlets start promoting a fringe or false story.
- Fox News picks up the story and gives it heavy, one-sided coverage.
- Fox News and conservative media attack the “liberal media” for ignoring it.
- Mainstream media outlets eventually cover the story, echoing the right-wing distortions.
- Fox News receives credit for promoting the story.
- The story is later proved to be false or wildly misleading, long after damage is done.